When asking people what their favorite foods are, you’re going to get a lot of variety. Some prefer more elegant dishes, others think the messier the better, and still more would rather have a dessert than anything else! But no matter how many people you ask, there is one answer that is sure to pop up more than any other: pizza.
Pizza is such a popular dish because it’s simply delicious! Not only do the sauce, cheese, and dough come together to create the perfect combination; but you also get to pick your favorite toppings to make the taste even better. Pizza is also a favorite because it’s one of the few foods that most people never get sick of.
A Slice of History
So just where did this delicious food come from? People have been creating herb-seasoned flatbread all over the Mediterranean since ancient Grecian times. It didn’t come equipped with sauce, cheese, and toppings, but it did serve as a great foundation for something extraordinary.
When the tomato was introduced to Europe in the 16th century, many people avoided them for fear of contamination or poisoning. It wasn’t until the 18th century that the lower-class citizens in Naples started using tomatoes on top of their flatbread. The combination of tomatoes, olive oil, and mozzarella cheese soon gained popularity.
Then, in 1889, a visit from King Umberto I and Queen Margherita inspired Naples-citizen Raffaele Esposito to create a pizza dish with red tomatoes, white mozzarella cheese, and green basil. This pizza was a perfect interpretation of the Italian flag. From the origin to the colors, it’s safe to say that pizza is one true Italian dish.
These days, pizza is made all over the world, with the best pizza coming out of Chicago. But you don’t have to travel to taste the best—you can get delicious Chicago style pizza here at Pizza Chicago-San Jose & Palo Alto . Our chefs create the most mouth-watering deep-dish pizza you’ve ever tasted. With our pizza delivery service, you don’t even have to leave your home!
When you’re hanging out with family and friends and everyone starts getting a rumble in their stomach, pizza is always the first choice. Everyone loves pizza, but not everyone loves the same toppings. By the time you can all come to a consensus on what type of pizza to get, you could’ve already been eating one! With so many great toppings to choose from, it’s easy to see why people have such different tastes. Some prefer the traditional taste of pepperoni, while others like the sweetness of pineapple. Some like the crunch of an onion, while others prefer a classic cheese pizza.
Those are all pretty common toppings. But pizza is eaten all over the world—and that means toppings are found all over the world. These 5 weird pizza toppings are worth a look:
1. Eel . While many Americans enjoy different types of red meat on their pizzas, people in Japan like to chow down on one of their favorite pizza toppings: eel.
2. Shrimp . This is another popular aquatic ingredient to use as a pizza topping. Shrimp is a favorite of many people in Australia.
3. Fried eggs . A lot of countries, including France and Brazil, have seen popularity with egg-topped pizza. The egg is served sunny-side up, either cooked and placed on the pizza or cooked right on top!
4 . Tuna . Pizza fans in countries such as Germany, Russia, and Japan all enjoy tuna on top of their pizzas. It seems that seafood makes a great addition to the classic pizza pie.
5. Coconut . You may have tried pineapple on your pizza, but in Costa Rica they spice it up with a different fruit. Coconut is a beloved pizza topping for the Costa Rican people.
If you’re looking for something a little more traditional, then look no further than the delicious Chicago style pizza here at Pizza Chicago-San Jose & Palo Alto . We make the very best deep-dish pizza and have all the classic toppings such as pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and some more interesting choices like pecans and teriyaki chicken. Whether you’re dining in, taking out, or looking for pizza delivery, we’ve got what you need!
Want to learn more about pizza and its delightful, completely contested history? Check out these links for more information on this most excellent of foodstuffs:
- Here’s one version of the origin of Chicago style pizza.
- And here’s a variation on the theme .
- Look into the murky origins of another famous pizza: the Hawaiian style.
- Learn about that abomination amongst honest pizzas , the so-called white pie.
- And finally, think all this debate over the origins of pizza is contentious? Well, we’ve got a treat for you, because pizza’s got nothing on fortune cookies .
- History of Pizza
- Events & Parties
- Pizz'a Chicago
- Planning a Party
- Pizza Party
- Birthday Party
- Pizza Places
- Pizza Toppings
- Homemade Pizza
- Margarita Pizza
- Chicago deep dish
- Chicago Style Pizza
- Gluten free
- Dessert & Sweets
- Veggie Pizza
- Date Night